SIGNAL BOOST - Video Game Marathon to Benefit Local Children’s Hospitals
What is Extra Life?
On an Autumn Saturday each year since 2008, tens of thousands of gamers have joined together to save the lives of local kids in a celebration of gaming culture that we call Extra Life. From console games to tabletop RPG’s to even lawn sports, Extra Life gives people that love to play a chance to do what they love to save lives and make a difference.
Originally designed as a 24-hour marathon of gaming, Extra Life has evolved to mean different things to different people (though most of our participants still attempt the marathon).
To participate you need only sign up (free) and gather the support of your friends and family through tax-deductible donations to your local CMN Hospital. Then on Saturday, November 2nd (or any day that works for you!) play any game(s) you want on any platform(s) that you want with anyone you want for as long as you want.
The proceeds from Extra Life stay where they’re raised to support children’s hospitals.
How can I help?
This year, a few of us Tumblr users decided we needed to step up and help this awesome cause. So there are a couple of ways you can help!
- Join in the marathon. We even have a team made up of Tumblr users, called Bloggers for Babies, so please feel free to join here! The funds you raise will go towards our total initial team goal of $300. You can also sign up as an individual, or start your own team. If you don’t quite reach your goal, you can also pledge donations towards your own goal.
- Pledge donations. You can pledge to donate to specific players of your choice, or specific members of a team. To donate, simply go to Extra-Life.org and click Donate Now. Donations are collected between now and November 2, 2013.
- Spread the word! If you’re not a gamer and you don’t have the funds to help out right now, just signal boost this so others can see it. Every little bit counts, and we want to help make a difference!
- What kind of games can we play during that time? What consoles?
You can play any games you want! From PS3 to poker on your phone, everything counts - even Facebook games!
- What if I can’t play for 25 hours straight?
Extra Life begins at exactly 8 a.m. in your local time zone on Saturday, Nov 2, and ends at 8am on Sunday, Nov 3. If you can’t make this day work, you can do Extra Life whenever it’s convenient for you. Some folks even break it into two segments. The idea and spirit of Extra Life is that everyone pulls together at the same time, but we know that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Don’t let a commitment on the 2nd stop you from joining. Just do what you can and make up the game time later. What matters most is the time you put in BEFORE the event to raise money for these kids.
- When do we start collecting donations?
Right now! When you sign up, you’ll get your own individual profile that you can link to others, including a running total for how much you’ve collected. Alternatively, people can search you by name and/or team. Donations are collected starting when you sign up until the actual event.
- How does pledging donations work?
Credit card donations may be made on a participant’s fundraising page. Cash and check donations will be collected by participants and submitted to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration.
- What if I can’t afford to pledge $25?
The goal is for every donation to be a pledge of $1 per hour played or $25, but you can choose how much to donate.
- Which countries can participate?
Extra Life is open to EVERY country on planet Earth. Martians are accepted on a case-by-case basis. The money you raise is directed to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital you select during registration.
As Tumblr users, we have a huge network of awesome gamers and those who want to make a difference. We hope to make this a huge day-long event, with users liveblogging and livestreaming their games, finding new people to play games with, and just making it a fun experience. Please spread the word, and game on!